The chief devils met with Satan in hell to devise the destruction of the United States. When did they meet? Well, it was some time ago, but not very long ago.

The question on all their leathery lips was, “How can we destroy America?”  After much squealing deliberation, one senior devil spoke up. “Remember, Abraham Lincoln said there was only one way that America could die.” Lincoln said, ‘If it ever reaches us, it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.’

“So, you see,” the demon said, “if we want to kill America, we must get them to kill themselves.”

The Devil asked, “What do you recommend?”

Came the answer: “As I see it, there are three nation-killing forces that stand out in history. They, more than anything else, cause people to turn on themselves. They are Racism, Fascism, and Communism. However, we have a problem in America.”

“What is that?” asked Satan.

“Well,” replied the elder demon, “right now, America seems to be rejecting these notions. The young are attacking fascism. Communism is declining, because their President caused their economy to boom—especially among minorities—and this economic boom has damaged the economy and credibility of Communist countries.

“Worse yet, the death of a black man in police custody has awakened a movement against racism. It seems we have our work cut out for us, if we want these three killing-agents to keeping working in America.”

Satan asked, “How can we keep Racism, Fascism, and Communism alive in America?”

A hush settled over hell, because there seemed to be no answer. Then the silence was broken by another devil—a lying spirit everyone knew. This same devil had once fooled King Ahab into going to war, and it led to Ahab’s death.  The story is found in 1 Kings 22:21-22, “Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ The Lord said to him, ‘In what way?’ So, he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’”

“Can you do it?” Beelzebub asked the lying spirit.  “Of course, I can. I am the master at inciting mobs. Remember, I am also the one who moved the masses—some of whom were even healed by You-Know-Who—to turn against Him. They wanted to spare Him, but when I was through with them, they were yelling, ‘Crucify Him!’ And they wouldn’t stop, until Barabbas was released in His place.”

“I can twist minds until they become the very thing they say they are against,” he boasted.

“How will you do it?” they all asked.

“I will intensify hate until it blinds.  That blind rage will make anti-Fascists start using tactics that are uniquely Fascist. They will attack like Fascists. The will censor like Fascists. They will assault and destroy people in ways that would impress Hitler.  Under my spell, they will, all the while, believe themselves champions of equality, justice, and free speech.”

“I will do the same thing with Racism. I will bury the ideals of Marin Luther King. Remember his dangerous words? ‘I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.’ I will make them ignore character and only look at skin color.

“I will fool the victims of Racism into practicing a new kind of Racism. If hate isn’t enough, I will constantly insinuate that they are ‘victims’, until their definition of equality includes the destruction of another race.”

“What is the greatest threat to your plan?” Satan asked.

“Of course, it is our Supreme Enemy, Almighty God, working through His Church. We all know how they have disrupted our plans in the past. However, our campaign to get them to remain silent about politics and focus on inner blessings has kept them distracted and unprepared for the drastic change we will make in the American Culture. The only marginal threat is a remnant―those who keep warning them and declaring a ‘moral awakening.’

“But wait,” inquired an arch demon, “you’ve said nothing about Communism. How will you make a nation that has been so blessed with prosperity, seek to be totally controlled by government?”

“Well, I have given that one a lot of thought and realized I must create a national disaster. I must bring about the total halt of the economy by locking people down, killing their small businesses, churches, and their hope. I think, maybe, by a virus.”

Satan clapped his hands with glee, saying, “Yes, that will surely succeed! Those who call themselves Christians will be too weak and too cowardly to take a stand against all of your plans!”

Was he right?