Praying for Faith – Clu

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ron McGatlin
    Keymaster

Claudia Monroe <clumon@yahoo.com>

April 28, 2023 – Praying for Faith

My husband and I stopped in at the grocery store so I could buzz in ‘n out for things we needed for the weekend. As I was rushing in, I met an old friend coming out that I hadn’t seen for quite a while. As soon as I saw her, I knew this was intentional, a God-appointment. I slowed down my pace and my mind and honed in on her. My friend looked haggard, warn out, unkempt, done in. Very different from the friend I knew and have known these 20-some years. I pulled my shopping cart over so others could get by and gave my friend a hug. I asked how she was doing even though I already knew the answer. I flinched inwardly as she told me how she was… Albeit, her husband had died suddenly of a heart attack two years ago, but the cascade of hurt that had happened to my friend since came spilling out. Problems seeming to come from every corner of her life; issues with family, physical health, her living situation, finances… It all poured out in a tumble. Her eyes welled up. Her countenance exuded defeat.

I listened. I nodded. I was a gentle presence. And then when it appeared she was emptied out, I asked her if I could pray for her. She said yes. Her name is Faith.

This morning as I lay in bed waking up to the day, I reflected on the encounter with Faith and felt that familiar nudge from the Holy Spirit that, yes, there is more here… I asked “it’s not only about Faith but about faith, as in Your church’s faith, isn’t it?” to which I received a reaffirming nod. I mulled this over and thought about the parallels to what my friend has been through, and then correlated it to me, us, the church. Each saint’s faith can suffer an attack of the heart; attacks which can come from family problems that seem not only to arise, but mount to the point where you cry out in desperation “Will this never end? Will our family ever be whole again??”. Attacks that come against our physical health, our living arrangements, our finances, our lives in general where we sink to such a low that crying out to God seems to dissipate into thin air, to where our eyes not only well up but spill over until we don’t think we can cry anymore; to where our countenance is not only one of defeat but downright reflective of the valley of the shadow of death…

Then, here comes Faith.

After she emptied herself while a friend listened, offered a shoulder, compassion and prayer, Faith’s countenance changed. The sparkle I remember being in her eyes returned, if even just a little. The rosiness in her cheeks I also recalled, started to overcome the gray dullness that had just been there. The mouth turned up into that unmistakable smile that I had associated with Faith. The countenance of the shadow of death that had been there only a few minutes ago was gone and now replaced by a countenance of hope.

We hugged again. We made a lunch date. I felt the Faith I knew was returning…

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebrews 11:1]

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. [Hebrews 11:6]

“The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.”’ [Numbers 6:24-26]

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Mercy and truth go before Your face. Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O Lord, in the light of Your countenance. [Psalm 89:14-15]

Claudia Monroe <clumon@yahoo.com>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Skip to toolbar