Loving A Wretched Whore – By JD King

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ron McGatlin
    Keymaster

World Revival Network Blog

Loving A Wretched Whore

Posted: 23 May 2017 02:25 PM PDT

God asked the prophet Hosea to enter into holy matrimony with a woman of ill-repute named Gomer.

In the beginning, things were beautiful. They built a house and started a family. However, with the passing of years, Gomer’s absences from home grew more frequent and prolonged.

Hosea was concerned about his wife’s fidelity. Soon it was discovered that his suspicions had merit.

She wandered far from home and, in time, bore the children of other men. Her shameful duplicity was no longer hidden.

Hosea mourned the pathway his bride had journeyed. He grieved as though she died. There’s something deeply moving about covenantal love.

As Gomer became more deeply mired in sin, curses overcome her. She became so destitute that she had to sell herself into slavery.

Most would, understandably, renounce such dishonor, but Hosea was not like others. God whispered in his ear, saying:

“Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another man and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods” (Hosea 3:1).

Though his bride was a wretched whore, he sought her out. It is difficult to imagine how one could love so deeply. Yet, somehow Hosea did.

He finally found her chained to an auction block in a filthy slave market, a repulsive shadow of the woman she once was. Though she was unfaithful, Hosea remained.

At an exorbitant price, he purchased Gomer. She was carried home and restored to her position as his wife.

“I bought her for fifteen shekels of silver and about a homer and a lethek of barley. Then I told her, ‘You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will behave the same way toward you’” (Hosea 3:2-3).

In may ways, Hosea is a prophetic window into the covenantal love of God. Even in the face of unfaithfulness and deceit, He is in active pursuit of His bride.

God’s love is an unfailing love.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Ron McGatlin.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Skip to toolbar