Printed Date: 11/23/2014 at 5:02pm

Topic: Charles Carrin: LAURIE, MY WONDERFUL WIFE OF 60 YEARS IS WITH THE LORD

Posted By: News Room
Subject: Charles Carrin: LAURIE, MY WONDERFUL WIFE OF 60 YEARS IS WITH THE LORD
Date Posted: 04/21/2012 at 9:38am

LAURIE, MY WONDERFUL WIFE OF 60 YEARS
IS WITH THE LORD

Charles Carrin

Sunday, March 25, 2012, my wife Laurie quietly slipped away to be with the Lord she loved. She had been admitted to Bethesda Hospital, Boynton Beach, Florida, five days earlier and was under the care of Hospice. That Sunday morning I told her that our daughter Cecile and her family would be arriving in the afternoon. Laurie was comatose, unresponsive, but I still believed she could hear me. Their flight came in at 4:00, we got to the hospital room about 5:10, they each kissed her, caressed her, prayed with her, and twenty minutes later, at 5:30, she died. She had held on to this life, waiting for Cecile and Ben to come and then quietly left us. It was so tranquil, peaceful, that we did not realize she was gone. The nurse came in shortly, listened to her heart, and told us she had died. There was no struggle, no movement, just a silent lifting out of her spirit. Our son-in-law Neal arrived the next day. Just before Laurie became comatose I heard her praying, telling the Lord, “I am so happy I am finally there! I have prayed for this for a long time!” She was 89.

It had been mine and Laurie’s desire that our funerals be a closure to our 60 years of marriage and not just a farewell at death. For that reason, the soloist sang the same three songs that were sung at our wedding–60 years before. White gladiolas decorated the church then–September 1, 1951–and were used again to adorn Laurie’s casket. The songs were “Through The Years I’ll Take My Place Beside You,” “Because You Come To Me,” and “O Promise Me.” At the time of our marriage I was pastor at my first church in Atlanta and she was my wonderful pianist. The Farewell Service was held Wednesday morning, March 28th, in my former church, Grace Community, Boynton Beach.

Mine and Laurie’s friend, Judge Ralph Beisner, delivered the eulogy. Ralph is a retired Supreme Court Justice from New York State and an ordained minister. His message was beautiful. Laurie and I became friends with Ralph and his wife Inger through our mutual relationship with the Toronto “Catch the Fire” Church and the Beisner’s visits to Boynton Beach. Jack Taylor, R.T. Kendall, and John Arnott, each sent messages which were shared with the congregation. R.T. was in London, Jack in Pennsylvania, and John in New Zealand. As the congregation left the building the soloist sang a melody that had been popular in mine and Laurie’s youth –“I’ll Be Seeing You”. These words express what I saw in my future without her:

Ill be seeing you in all the old familiar places,
That this heart of mine embraces, All day through.
In that small café, the park across the way,
The children’s carrousel, The chestnut tree,
The wishing well.

I’ll be seeing you in every lovely summer’s day,
In everything that’s light and gay,
I’ll always think of you that way.
I”ll find you in the morning sun
And when the night is new,
I’ll be looking at the moon
But I’ll be seeing you ...

TRIBUTES TO LAURIE ...

JOHN AND CAROL ARNOTT

“A princess' prayer has been answered now. Laurie has gone to be with her bridegroom and no doubt has already had her first dance. She was lovely. We will miss her. Her family will miss her. Charles will miss her terribly, but it won't be long until we will all be together again, dancing around the Throne. ‘Thank You Lord Jesus for the glorious hope that we all have in You. You totally and completely conquered death and it is truly swallowed up in victory.’ Much love and deepest regards to you all.” — John and Carol Arnott

JACK AND FREIDE TAYLOR

“She never flinched, she never feared.” There are the words that came to mind as I sat down to write of our friend, Laurie Carrin. She made me feel that I was her best personal friend next to her husband and family. My wife, Friede, felt the same way. But amazingly, we both know that this was a special gift of hers to us, as she made everybody whom she knew felt the same way. Now that her moment has come we remember these words:

Death can hide but not divide,
She’s but on Christ’s other side.
She’s with Christ, in Him are we,
Forever together in Him to be.”

---Jack and Friede Taylor

R. T. AND LOUISE KENDALL

Louise and I first met Laurie about twelve years ago while we were on holiday in Florida in 1999. I was still the Minister of Westminster Chapel, London, I had met Charles a few months before at a Conference in Chattanooga. I was deeply moved by Charles's ministry, so much so that when we came to see Charles and Laurie in Boynton Beach I was determined to invite him to speak at Westminster Chapel. Laurie was in their living room while he checked his diary; I had only ONE date I could have Charles and Charles had only ONE DATE HE WAS FREE. It was the same date! I knew that God was at work. But on the day Charles became a co-laborer in the Gospel was the same day Louise and I picked up a new intercessor – Laurie Carrin. From that day we were on her prayer list and the consequence has been not only a great friendship with her but the peace and anointing that have flowed in answer to her prayers. We will miss her prayers but believe they have been bottled up in Heaven to be poured out on our lives until we meet her on the other side. Laurie was a self-effacing, sweet, lovely, godly and cheerful intercessor. Few people I know could be called "saint" in the common use of that term, and Laurie was one of those. I hate to think how much Charles will miss her, but he will have Louise, Jack and Friede – and his friend Larry – to pray for him. Jack, Charles and I will continue with our Word Spirit Power Conferences knowing that we cannot take any credit for blessing but realizing it is the fruit of people's prayers – not the least of which are those of Laurie. But we give all the glory to God - which would be exactly what she would want. — R. T. and Louise Kendall.

Amazingly, my last surviving brother, Van, died at his home near Atlanta on Saturday night, less than 24 hours before Laurie, and both funerals were held the same day and hour. I was unable to attend his service and his family was unable to attend Laurie’s.

On Our Golden Anniversary, September 1, 2001, I wrote the following poem to Laurie:

THIS IS LOVE

I love thee like the moonlight loves the sea,
Touching every wave and ripple tenderly;
Like the morning loves the mist,
Flower and grass-blade gently kissed,
Not a leaf or petal missed;
All this is how I love thee.

I love thee like the twilight loves the night,
When cares and burdens vanish out of sight,
And we who through the day have lived apart,
At nightfall join in rhythm as one heart,
When love joins hands, anew to start,