OpenHeaven.com Forum : ARTICLES and Discussion
Subject Topic: Giant Slaying Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Arla Speer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/04/2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Arla Speer

Giant Slaying

By: Arla Speer

A year ago, I called my mentor and told him I had this thing coming up. “It’s B-I-G! It’s really important. It’s going to be really hard. It’s possibly the hardest thing I have ever had to do.” I didn’t tell him what it was (until later) and he aptly dubbed the situation a giant. Ever since, when something big has come up that seemed to take almost more than I thought I possessed, I have called it “giant slaying”.

So far, I have successfully slayed all the giants brought before me.

One giant has been particularly difficult for me though. This giant has plagued me for years now. A while ago, I was happily tiptoeing through the tulips when I suddenly found myself in a minefield. And I was not alone. I was with the giant. A mine intentionally exploded and the giant left me for dead.

Jesus was also there standing between me and the giant and took the brunt of the explosion. I felt the effects of the blast but my life was spared.

Over the last few months, Jesus has been bringing this giant to mind. There has been a lot of pain associated with this giant. Jesus and I have had many conversations about slaying the giant.

Why not let the sleeping giant sleep?

There was a very small window for this slaying. Lord knows I didn’t want to slay this giant. He also knows me and knows what it takes for me to do what He asks. He gave me a week and a half to get ready. With no script, I committed to slaying this giant.

I walked out on the battlefield and discovered that maybe the giant wasn't what I thought it was. And I wondered.

What would David do? What if the story was the same until he started to walk out to Goliath? The closer he got to Goliath, the shorter Goliath got - not because David got bigger but because it had all been an optical illusion. Goliath's harsh, square facial features appeared softer, gentler. And his big heavy spear was actually just a small stick he had picked up to hit rocks with along the journey like any other child.

What if, the closer he got, the more he recognized Goliath as a familiar person from long ago? Not quite sure who, but ...

Perhaps, a friend he used to run through the fields with? Or, even ... a brother?

What if?

What if the voices who told David about the giant were only describing a mirage? It wasn't their fault they were wrong. After all, he looked like a giant from where they were standing.

What does David do then - when he sees Goliath as someone just like him and not the big, scary giant all the voices were telling him Goliath was?

What then?

Does he poke Goliath to make sure he's real? Does he walk away in disbelief? Does he slay him anyway?

And, what about Goliath? What does he do?
My wondering surprised me. Every day since, I have thought about these “What ifs”. I still don’t know how this ‘giant’ will be slain.
Maybe, the real giant has already been slain.

Responses to this article are welcomed. You may contact the author at alreadyclaimed@yahoo.com.

Edited by Arla Speer on 10/04/2013 at 12:43pm

How wrong are you willing to be?
View Arla Speer's Profile Search for other posts by Arla Speer

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version